This week, pointing to the terrorist attack at NAS Pensacola, U.S. Rep. Greg Steube, R-Fla., brought out a proposal to let the U.S. Defense Department offer concealed carry permits to active duty Armed Forces personnel on military installations.
Steube said his proposal could help prevent future terrorist attacks like the one at NAS Pensacola.
“As we saw in the recent tragedy in Pensacola, gun-free zones are a threat to our safety—even in the most secure environments,” Steube said. “Active duty service members, who have extensive firearm training, should be afforded the opportunity to carry a concealed firearm to defend themselves and others. If we trust them on the battlefield with military equipment and firearms, then we should trust them at home on their installations to defend themselves and civilians working with them.”
The congressman’s office explained the proposal.
“The bill would allow active-duty service members to apply for concealed carry permits to carry on military installations. These permits would be issued by the Department of Defense. Those who are prohibited from purchasing, owning, or possessing a firearm under section 922 of title 18 of the United States Code will not be eligible for the permits,” Steube’s office noted.
“The Second Amendment shouldn’t cease at the gates of our military installations for those who are actually fighting for our freedoms,” said Steube. “This bill will allow our service members, who have significant firearm training, to protect themselves and others through the safe and legal usage of a firearm.”
Florida Republican U.S. Reps. Ross Spano and Ted Yoho signed on as cosponsors.
The bill was sent to the U.S. House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday. So far, there is no counterpart over in the U.S. Senate.
Reach Kevin Derby at firstname.lastname@example.org.