Last week, state Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Jimmy Patronis announced that more than $31 million in unclaimed property was returned to Floridians during the month of March 2022.
The Division of Unclaimed Property has returned more than $300 million to Floridians this fiscal year. Since Patronis took office in 2017, more than $1.6 billion has been returned to Floridians in unclaimed property.
“As Florida’s CFO, I have made it my personal mission to put money back into the pockets of Floridians where it belongs. We currently have more than $2 billion left in unclaimed property just waiting to be claimed right now! It takes only a few minutes to search and there is absolutely no cost to you. I know inflation and gas prices are a real challenge to Florida families, so every little bit helps. Search for unclaimed property now for yourself, your friends, your loved ones, and even your business at FLTreasureHunt.gov,” Patronis said.
March 2022 Unclaimed Property Returns by Region
• Pensacola – $593,310
• Panama City – $250,794
• Tallahassee – $2.4 million
• Jacksonville – $1.3 million
• Gainesville – $248,461
• Orlando – $4.52 million
• Tampa/St. Pete – $5.82 million
• Fort Myers/Naples – $1.5 million
• West Palm Beach – $5.6 million
• Miami – $9.14 million
Unclaimed property is a financial asset that is unknown or lost, or has been left inactive, unclaimed or abandoned by its owner. The most common types of unclaimed property are dormant bank accounts, unclaimed insurance proceeds, stocks, dividends, uncashed checks, deposits, credit balances and refunds. Unclaimed property also includes contents from abandoned safe deposit boxes in financial institutions. Unclaimed property assets are held by business or government entities (holders) for a set period of time, usually five years. If the holder is unable to locate, re-establish contact with the owner and return the asset, it is reported and remitted to the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Unclaimed Property. To search for unclaimed property or to claim an account, go online to FLTreasureHunt.gov.
- Tim Kaine, Marco Rubio Want to Keep UN Fact Finding Mission in Venezuela - December 6, 2022, 8:00 pm
- Kat Cammack Backs Resolution Honoring 25th Anniversary of Military Women’s Memorial - December 6, 2022, 10:00 am
- Byron Donalds Wants to Stop Congress From Adding Non-Related Provisions to Disaster Relief Bills - December 6, 2022, 6:00 am