With Tuesday marking the first day of the 2021 Hurricane Season, state Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Jimmy Patronis highlighted “Prepare Florida,” an initiative to encourage Floridians to prepare now before a hurricane makes landfall.
The website serves as a one-stop-shop for disaster preparedness information and resources to help Floridians ensure they are prepared to weather the next storm.
“As we begin the 2021 Hurricane Season, it is my top priority to ensure Floridians have the tools and resources they need to prepare for the next storm before it takes aim at our state,” Patronis said on Tuesday. “While Floridians know all too well the devastation hurricanes can have on their lives, it’s easy to not take the threat seriously. An above-normal hurricane season is predicted, with the possibility of up to five major hurricanes. As we’ve seen in the past, hurricanes can form and strengthen quickly, leaving little time to prepare and evacuate. The time is now to prepare and protect your home and business. Do not wait until a storm is approaching. Prepare now, Florida!”
The Prepare Florida website includes:
- An Emergency Preparedness Toolkit designed to help you prepare a home inventory and organize your financial information before and after a disaster.
- A Natural Disasters – Are You Prepared guide to inform consumers on insurance and financial preparation in the event of a natural disaster.
- A guide to navigating the flood insurance claims process.
- Information on the Assignment of Benefits (AOB) process and how it can impact a homeowner.
- Tips on what to expect after filing a homeowners insurance claim related to a hurricane.
Visit PrepareFL.com for more information and to start your disaster plan today. CFO Patronis’ Insurance Consumer Helpline is available to assist Floridians with insurance issues and the claims process. Call the toll-free helpline at 1-877-MY-FL-CFO (693-5236), to talk to a knowledgeable insurance specialist Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.