Following the impacts of powerful storms and tornadoes causing severe damage to homes and businesses in Southwest Florida over the weekend, this week state Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Jimmy Patronis highlighted important storm recovery resources.
Patronis’ PrepareFL.com website serves as a one-stop-shop for disaster information and resources to help Floridians recover quickly following a storm. Patronis also warned consumers to beware of contractors asking for cash for repairs and always require contractors to show proof of insurance prior to beginning the job.
“As Floridians work to recover from the devastating storms in Southwest Florida over the weekend, my office stands ready to assist consumers with your insurance questions and concerns. Our dedicated insurance specialists can walk you through the claims process and help you better understand your rights as an insurance consumer. Recovering from a disaster is not easy but we are here to help. Unfortunately, we know too well that after a disaster hits, we see bad actors looking to make a quick buck. Always verify the license of contractors prior to hiring them to ensure they are registered to conduct business in Florida and beware of offers for post-storm repairs or services that require a cash payment. Remember, if an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Please visit PrepareFL.com or call 1-877-MY-FL-CFO (693-5236) for vital storm recovery and fraud prevention tips,” Patronis said on Tuesday.
Patronis’ Insurance Consumer Helpline is also available to assist Floridians with insurance issues and the claims process. Call the toll-free helpline at 1-877-MY-FL-CFO (693-5236), to talk to a knowledgeable insurance specialist Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Prepare Florida website includes:
• A guide to navigating the insurance claims process.
• Information on the Assignment of Benefits (AOB) process and how it can impact a homeowner.
• Tips on what to expect after filing a homeowners insurance claim related to a storm.
• Tips on how to avoid unlicensed contractors and repair scams.
- Vern Buchanan, Brett Guthrie Announce Healthy Future Task Force Solutions to Secure Public Health - May 22, 2022, 11:03 am
- House Committee Passes BrIan Mast’s Northern Estuaries Restoration Plan, $100 Million for Estuary Protection - May 20, 2022, 8:00 pm
- Jimmy Patronis Warns Floridians About Credit Bureaus Selling Data to Lenders - May 20, 2022, 4:00 pm