Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Florida Politics

Mario Diaz-Balart: Feds Sending $100 Million to Miami-Dade for Rapid Transit Bus Line

Diaz-Balart said the county would get $99.9 million from the federal government to help on the South Corridor Rapid Transit Project which is part of the SMART Plan. The money will come through a Federal Trade Administration (FTA) Capital Investment Grant (CIG) Program.

Share Story Via Text or E-Mail

U.S. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, R-Fla., the top Republican on the U.S. House Transportation, Housing and Urban Development (THUD) Appropriations Subcommittee, announced on Monday that Miami-Dade County was getting $100 million from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Diaz-Balart said the county would get $99.9 million from the federal government to help on the South Corridor Rapid Transit Project which is part of the SMART Plan. The money will come through a Federal Trade Administration (FTA) Capital Investment Grant (CIG) Program.

“The SMART plan is a 20-mile bus rapid transit line to be constructed along the existing South Dade busway from the Dadeland South Metrorail Station to SW 344th Street in Florida City. This project will not only improve safety and efficiency and alleviate traffic, but it will also generate approximately 3,900 jobs,” Diaz-Balart’s office noted.

“I am thrilled that Miami-Dade County will be receiving $99.9 million in federal funds for the development of the South Corridor Rapid Transit Project. I have repeatedly stated that I am eager and in a position to secure federal dollars to address local infrastructure challenges. With this allocation, Miami-Dade County will now be able to move forward with the SMART Plan,” the congressman said.

Diaz-Balart offered a tip of the cap to U.S. Transportation Sec. Elaine Chao and Miami Dade Mayor Carols Gimenez who is challenging U.S. Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, D-Fla.

“Secretary Chao has continuously invested in our community’s transportation sector and delivered much-needed federal dollars to advance and upgrade our infrastructure, and I’m grateful for all she and the Trump administration have done for our community and Florida. I also thank Mayor Gimenez for his leadership and initiative on this important project. Without him, none of this would be possible,” Diaz-Balart said.

Diaz-Balart was first elected to Congress in a special election held in 2001. He has no opposition in November and will be headed back to Congress next year.

 

Reach Kevin Derby at kevin.derby@floridadaily.com.

Author

  • Kevin Derby

    Originally from Jacksonville, Kevin Derby is a contributing writer for Florida Daily and covers politics across Florida.

    View all posts
Share Story Via Text or E-Mail
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow our Facebook Page

Follow us on X, Insta, Linkedin
<

Related Stories

Elections

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready... Results from a poll recently conducted by the University of North Florida (UNF) show the state’s junior U.S....

Florida Politics

The Institute for Legislative Analysis (ILA) just released the voting trends on Florida U.S Congressional members. Their latest analysis found that “culture war” issues...

Business

After COVID, business groups around the state wanted Florida lawmakers to help shield them from lawsuits brought on by lawyers. Last year, a flurry...

Most Recent

This week, the U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) honored U.S. Rep. Carlos Gimenez, R-Fla., “for his leadership and record of bipartisan work to strengthen...