Most Americans Think Roe vs. Wade Should Not Be Reexamined By Supreme Court, Poll Finds

Asked about abortion, most Americans say they believe that Roe vs. Wade is settled law and should not be reexamined by the U.S. Supreme Court, a new poll shows.

A recent Hill-HarrisX poll finds that most registered voters see the 1974 decision as a “settled matter” but the majority isn’t overwhelming as 56 percent believe the issue should be left alone while 44 percent disagree.

Most age groups agree that the abortion law should stay as is but the poll finds voters 34 and younger are evenly split on whether the Supreme Court should reconsider the matter with

51 percent supporting leaving the matter alone and 49 percent saying the Supreme Court should reconsider the issue. A solid majority of seniors–64 percent–oppose having the Supreme Court reviewing Roe vs. Wade.

The survey of 1,001 registered voters across the nation was taken from June 1-2 with a margin of error of +/-3.1 percent.

With several states look at putting further restrictions on abortions, voters continue to share their views on what should and should not be allowed.

Last fall, a Hill-HarrisX survey found that 18 percent of registered voters believed that abortion should be legal under all circumstances while a little more than quarter–27 percent–believed it should be legal under most circumstances through the end of the sixth month of pregnancy. A plurality–41 percent–believed it should be legal only in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother and 14 percent believed it should be illegal under all circumstances.

Last month, Hill-HarrisX found that 45 percent of registered voters felt that laws restricting abortion rights after the sixth week of pregnancy were too strict while 34 percent said they were just right and 21 percent said they were too lenient.

 

Reach Ed Dean at ed.dean@floridadaily.com.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here