In Orlando, at the annual meeting of the Florida Medical Association (FMA) on Sunday, Dr. Ronald Giffler of Pompano Beach took over as the group’s 143rd president.
Certified in anatomic and clinical pathology, Giffler is the president and CEO of FirstPath, a physician-operated lab based in Pompano Beach and the Medical Director of Laboratory Services for Broward Health.
“Dr. Giffler has been deeply involved in the FMA’s efforts to improve Florida’s medical practice environment for many years,” said Timothy Stapleton, the CEO of the FMA. “His wealth of experience as a clinician, healthcare leader and physician advocate will be invaluable as we continue addressing the increasingly complex issues our members face in caring for Florida’s patients.”
Outside of his medical background, Giffler has a law degree from the University of Miami and a MBA from Nova Southeastern University. In 2015, he retired as a colonel in the Medical Corps of the U.S. Army Reserve.
Giffler has been active on the FMA Board of Governors Executive Committee and served four years as the FMA treasurer and two as the vice president.
Other FMA officers for 2019-2020 include:
· President-Elect Michael L. Patete, MD — Otolaryngology, Venice
· Vice President Douglas R. Murphy — Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ocala
· Secretary Lisa A. Cosgrove, MD — Pediatrics, Merritt Island
· Treasurer Jason M. Goldman, MD — Internal Medicine, Pompano Beach
· Speaker Joshua D. Lenchus, DO — Internal Medicine, Fort Lauderdale
· Vice Speaker Ashley Booth Norse, MD — Emergency Medicine, Jacksonville
· Immediate Past President Corey L. Howard, MD — Internal Medicine, Naples
· Parliamentarian Alan B. Pillersdorf, MD — Plastic Surgery, Palm Beach Gardens
The FMA has more than 25,000 members across the Sunshine State.
- Ron and Casey DeSantis Showcase $100 Million in Budget for Cancer Research and Treatment - May 19, 2022, 12:00 pm
- Trade Association Sues Florida Insurance Commissioner for Allowing Property Insurance Companies to Circumvent State Law - May 19, 2022, 9:00 am
- Florida Dominates the Rankings in Most Affordable Cities for Home Improvement - May 18, 2022, 8:00 pm