The college football world is not going to end, even if further reforms aren’t approved.
Fans are clamoring for change after Alabama was crowned as the national champion for the sixth time in the last 11 years. We did not get the Clemson against Alabama matchup that so many people say they are tired of seeing–but the same players were in the playoffs.
Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson were, once again, the cream of the crop and could be again next season. This doesn’t mean that other teams don’t have a shot though.
Fans in Florida should be especially excited. UCF will see record-setter Dillon Gabriel return at quarterback and its depleted defense will be replenished. Dan Mullen is building exactly the kind of program at UF that Gator fans demand and the defense should be much improved. Miami gets back D’Eriq King at quarterback and they’re finally recruiting at the level Canes fans demand in South Florida. At Florida State….oh never mind. It’s going to be bad again in Tallahassee but can it be any worse than what FSU fans saw in the pandemic shortened 2020 season?
With fans likely to be back in the stands by some point in the season, the financial pressures will be lessened and the bowl games will be a fun vacation again. All of this talk of doom and gloom should take a back seat as we revel in the nation’s greatest sport. No regular season matters as much as college football. I, for one, will celebrate the fact that we survived 2020, and look forward to some semblance of normalcy by next fall.
FINAL 2020 TOP 25
- ALABAMA (12-0) No doubt about it.
- OHIO STATE (7-1) Pretty good offense against Alabama but no defense.
- CLEMSON (10-2) Six straight ACC championships and they’re loaded again next year/
- NOTRE DAME (10-2) I don’t fault them for losing to one of the best teams ever in the semifinals.
- TEXAS A&M (9-1) Losing QB Kellen Mond may set them back next year.
- OKLAHOMA (9-2) Eight straight wins and a thumping of Florida to end the season.
- CINCINNATI (9-1) Only loss was on last-second field goal to Georgia.
- BYU (11-1) Only loss was being stopped at the goal line at Coastal Carolina.
- GEORGIA (8-2) Only lost to Alabama and Florida. Got really good with JT Daniels at QB.
- LIBERTY (10-1) Only loss was by a point to NC State and they were the only team to beat Coastal Carolina.
- COASTAL CAROLINA (11-1) Miracle season ended in a last-second loss to Liberty.
- NORTHWESTERN (7-2) Thumped Auburn in bowl game and hung with Ohio State in Big 10 championship game.
- IOWA STATE (9-3) QB Brock Purdy comes back after bowl win over Oregon.
- LOUISIANA (10-1) Only loss was to Coastal Carolina but I cannot reward them for barely beating UTSA in their bowl game.
- SOUTHERN CAL (5-1) Hard to judge them with only six games and bowl canceled.
- IOWA (6-2) Their bowl also canceled but they won six straight to end the season.
- OKLAHOMA STATE (8-3) Good win over Miami to end the season.
- INDIANA (6-2) Their wins are not great and lost to Ole Miss in bowl season.
- FLORIDA (8-4) That was a really bad three-game losing streak to end the year and a complete embarrassment in the bowl game.
- NORTH CAROLINA (8-4) Despite bowl loss, Mac Brown has this program headed in the right direction.
- BALL STATE (7-1) Ended season beating undefeated Buffalo for MAC crown, then-undefeated San Jose St. in their bowl game.
- SAN JOSE STATE (7-1) Undefeated regular season ruined in the bowl/
- TEXAS (7-3) Bowl win pushes them back in Top 25.
- MIAMI (8-3) Their losses to Clemson and UNC were bad and their wins were not memorable.
- BUFFALO (6-1) MAC Championship game was only loss.
Reach Mike Synan at email@example.com.