The Seminoles did it again!
Shortly before kickoff, the game between Florida State and Virginia was called off and no make-up date has been announced. Again, a positive COVID-19 test led to no action on the field–but this time Florida State is ravaged. After contract tracing, the team would have only had 44 scholarship players available for the game.
“We deeply regret that many Florida State and Virginia fans have already traveled to the game as well as Virginia’s team,” FSU Athletic Director Dave Coburn said. “We simply had no way of knowing we would not be playing until this morning. We made every effort to play, but we could not do so in a way that was safe for the players.”
There were no angry outbursts from UVA’s coaches or administration like what happened with Clemson the week before but the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) could not have been happy to see this again. On a normal Sunday, the league announces the game times and television networks for the games that will be played on Saturday but the ACC’s announcement was delayed which raised some eyebrows. Finally, after 7 pm, the schedule was released and it did not include Florida State. Later in the week, FSU’s new schedule was released with games against Duke and Wake Forest looming.
Florida Gators QB Kyle Trask looks like a Heisman Trophy favorite–but if he wins, they may have picked the wrong Gator and the wrong Kyle. Tight End Kyle Pitts returned to action on Saturday against Kentucky and put on a clinic catching three touchdown passes. NFL evaluators won’t make the same mistake as Heisman voters. Pitts will be picked long before Trask.
TOP 25 FOR THE WEEK BEGINNING NOVEMBER 29
- ALABAMA (8-0) Never in danger against Auburn.
- NOTRE DAME (9-0) Held dangerous UNC to 17 points.
- OHIO STATE (4-0) Might not play enough games to qualify for a playoff spot.
- CINCINNATI (8-0) Playoff committee doesn’t think as much of them as I do.
- TEXAS A&M (6-1) They were OK, not great, against LSU.
- CLEMSON (8-1) They were great against Pitt and Trevor Lawrence is back with a vengeance.
- FLORIDA (7-1) Manhandled Kentucky.
- BYU (9-0) Wins are just not good enough to have them higher.
- INDIANA (5-1) Another team that may not make it to the end with another cancellation.
- MIAMI (7-1) Get Duke now for a makeup game instead of Wake Forest. That’s a better matchup for the Canes.
- COASTAL CAROLINA (9-0) Another rout for the Chanticleers.
- SOUTHERN CAL (3-0) I don’t think they can keep winning squeakers.
- NORTHWESTERN (5-1) Good: beat Wisconsin. Bad: beaten by Michigan State.
- LOUISIANA (8-1) Put 70 on rival LA Monroe to show voters.
- WASHINGTON (3-0) Not sure how good Utah is but that was a terrific comeback win.
- MARSHALL (7-0) Schedule really hurts them.
- COLORADO (3-0) Not buying them being able to stay here.
- OREGON (3-1) Blew their playoff chances in loss to rival Oregon State.
- GEORGIA (6-2) I don’t get how beating Auburn makes you top 10 like the pollsters have them.
- IOWA STATE (7-2) Headed to the Big 12 Championship game.
- WISCONSIN (2-1) Not sure how good they are after another cancellation.
- OKLAHOMA (6-2) On track for a rematch with Iowa State for Big 12.
- TULSA (5-1) Wins over SMU and UCF. Only lost by one score to Oklahoma State.
- SAN JOSE STATE (4-0) Sad news that the Boise game was canceled which would have been this team’s proving ground.
- BUFFALO (4-0) I just want to shower a ranking because Jaret Patterson ran for eight (!!!) touchdowns this week.
Reach Mike Synan at email@example.com.
- Donald Trump Sketches Out a Vision for the GOP’s Future - March 5, 2021, 10:00 pm
- Anna Eskamani Takes Aim at Corporations as Session Starts in Tallahassee - March 3, 2021, 10:00 pm
- Ron DeSantis Takes a Bow in the State of the State Address - March 2, 2021, 4:58 pm