Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


College Students Becoming More Partisan When it Comes to Politics

Share this story:

With Gov. Ron DeSantis leading in the polls over Democratic challenger former Gov. Charlie Crist, Florida Democrats are hoping the U.S. Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade will motivate college students to come out on Election Day.

Election data from 2020 showed that Joe Biden won nearly 60 percent of college-educated voters and college students and graduates have become part of the Democrats’ base.

A new poll from NBC News/Generation Lab shows that this trend will continue in the future as liberal college students are increasingly becoming more partisan.

The poll of college sophomores shows 62 percent of Democrats surveyed say they would not share a room with someone who supported their political opponents, primarily supporters of former President Donald Trump. The poll shows 28 percent of Republican students say they would not share a room with someone who backed their political opponents.

Overall, more than half–54 percent–of college students say they would “definitely” or “probably” room with someone who supported the presidential candidate they opposed in 2020, while 46 percent said they would “probably not” or “definitely not.”

This view doesn’t surprise college conservative groups.

While this intolerance is outrageous, it’s actually not surprising to anyone who has even set foot on a college campus recently, you have Democrats outnumbering Republicans two to one. You actually have as many independents as you have Republicans on campus,” said Alexa Schwerha with Campus Reform.

More than half of those surveyed–53 percent–say they definitely or probably would not go on a date with a person who voted differently than them while 47 percent say they have no problem with going on a date with a person from a different political party.

That partisan divide grows when it comes to marriage, with 63 percent of college students saying they can’t see themselves marrying someone backing the other party. Only 37 percent say they can see themselves marrying someone from a different political persuasion.

The same poll found most college Democrats don’t support Biden running again in 2024.

While traditionally, college students are less likely to vote than most of the U.S. population, 72 percent of those surveyed say they “probably will” or are “absolutely certain” to vote in November.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Ed Dean: Publisher


Ed Dean is a leading radio and news media personality including hosting the #1 statewide radio talk show in Florida. Contact

You May Also Like


Share this story:As U.S. Congress moves to potentially ban TikTok in the U.S.,, a new profile-based network, unveils a study showing that 70...


Share this story:The No Labels Party said it would spend millions against Biden and Trump in the upcoming general election. Now, a new group...


Judge Mark Walker ruled that after-hour drop boxes may make it inconvenient to return ballots outside business hours, but they don’t keep Floridians from...


Share this story:The number 27 is a problem for both Republicans and Democrats. That’s the percentage of U.S. adults who identified as either a...

Follow us on Social Media