This week, Gov. Ron DeSantis was joined by Cuban-American leaders and elected officials in Miami for a roundtable supporting the Cuban people protesting the communist regime leading that nation.
DeSantis called on the Biden administration to take a strong stance against the Cuban regime.
“We stand with the people of Cuba. For far too long, a tyrannical communist regime has oppressed its people and used its power to silence any dissidents. Now, the Cuban people are making their voices heard to demand freedom and an end to this dictatorship,” DeSantis said on Tuesday.
“Still, while the Cuban people are showing tremendous courage, the Biden administration is showing cowardice. The Biden Administration has been weak in its statements, blaming COVID-19, and not mentioning socialism or communism. While the president and his spokespeople issue empty rhetoric, the federal government is inexplicably lifting sanctions in Venezuela. Right now, the Cuban regime is taking the measure of Washington,” DeSantis added.
“The people of Cuba are rebelling against a dictatorial government, not seeking minor policy changes that would merely be akin to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic,” the governor said in conclusion.
Joining DeSantis at the roundtable were:
- Congressman Carlos Gimenez, Florida’s 26th Congressional District
- Congresswoman Maria Elvira Salazar, Florida’s 27th Congressional District
- Senator Manny Diaz, District 36
- Representative Bryan Avila, District 111
- Representative Daniel Perez, District 116
- Representative Tom Fabricio, District 103
- Representative Alex Rizo, District 110
- Senator Ileana Garcia, District 37
- Representative Anthony Rodriguez, District 118
- Representative Jim Mooney, District 120
- Representative David Borrero, District 105
- Representative Demi Busatta Cabrera, District 114
- Senator Ana Maria Rodriguez, District 39
- Ambassador Carlos Trujillo, former US Ambassador to the Organization of American States, former member of the Florida House
- Marcell Felipe, Pte. Fundacion Inspire America
- Sylvia Iriondo, President, Mother and Women against Repression in Cuba (MAR por Cuba), Havana, Cuba
- Félix Rodriguez, Former CIA Officer and Former President, Bay of Pigs Veterans Association: Brigade 2506
- Rosa María Payá Acevedo, Founder, Cuba Decide
- Miriam de la Pena, Mother of Activist Mario de la Pena
- Orlando Gutierrez-Boronat, (Directorio Democratico Cubano), Asamblea por la Resistencia
- AAA: Gas Prices in Florida Drop for Ninth Week in a Row - August 15, 2022, 5:00 pm
- Ron DeSantis Names Josie Tamayo as CEO of Volunteer Florida - August 15, 2022, 4:00 pm
- Ron DeSantis Awards Competitive Florida Partnership Program Funds to Foster Economic Development - August 15, 2022, 12:00 pm