Dr. Michael Patete took over as the 144th president of the Florida Medical Association (FMA) on Sunday.
Patete, a Board-certified otolaryngologist in private practice who also specializes in head and neck plastic surgery, has been practicing medicine for more than 30 years. He is based out of Venice.
“Dr. Patete has held numerous leadership positions within the Florida Medical Association, now serving as president of our more than 25,000-member organization for the 2020 and 2021 term,” said FMA CEO Timothy Stapleton. “His wealth of experience, tireless advocacy for physicians and patients, and dedication to the healthcare issues and challenges impacting all Floridians today, will ensure FMAs voice of medicine remains strong.”
After earning his medical degree from the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University, Patete completed his residency at Jackson Health System. He has served organized medicine in many leadership roles, which include FMA PAC president, vice president and secretary of the FMA, delegate to the American Medical Association (Florida delegation), FMA Board of Governors District E representative and past president of the Sarasota County Medical Society. Patete is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a fellow of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
FMA officers for 2020-2021 also include:
- President-Elect Douglas Murphy, MD – Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ocala
- Vice President Joshua Lenchus, DO – Internal Medicine, Fort Lauderdale
- Secretary Lisa Cosgrove, MD – Pediatrics, Merritt Island
- Treasurer Jason Goldman, MD – Internal Medicine, Pompano Beach
- Speaker Ashley Norse, MD – Emergency Medicine, Jacksonville
- Vice Speaker Mark Rubenstein, MD – Physiatry, Jupiter
- Immediate Past President Ronald Giffler, MD – Pathology, Pompano Beach
- AAA: Gas Prices in Florida Drop for Ninth Week in a Row - August 15, 2022, 5:00 pm
- Ron DeSantis Names Josie Tamayo as CEO of Volunteer Florida - August 15, 2022, 4:00 pm
- Ron DeSantis Awards Competitive Florida Partnership Program Funds to Foster Economic Development - August 15, 2022, 12:00 pm